- All generalizations are dangerous, even this one. – attributed to Alexandre Dumas, French author (1824-1895)
- Heresy is another word for freedom of thought. – Graham Greene, English writer (1904-1991)
- Nothing makes people so worthy of compliments as occasionally receiving them. One is more delightful for being told one is delightful – just as one is more angry for being told one is angry. – Katharine Fullerton Gerould, American writer (1879-1944)
- In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us. – Thich Nhat Hanh, Vietnamese monk, activist and writer
- There is no such thing as conversation. It is an illusion. There are intersecting monologues, that is all. – Dame Rebecca West, Irish-born novelist (1892-1983)
Archives for January 2009
Kevin Rudd has offered his condolences following the death of an Australian soldier in Afghanistan.
- Listen to Rudd (5m)
Transcript of Prime Minister Kevin Rudd’s press conference.
PRIME MINISTER: I am deeply saddened to learn of the death of an Australian soldier in Afghanistan. This brave soldier, wearing the uniform of Australia died the field of duty wearing his nation’s uniform and wearing it with pride.
On behalf of the Government, I extend my condolences to his family and to his friends and to his loved ones. Our prayers and those of the entire nation are with his family and his friends and his loved ones on this most tragic of days. [Read more…]
An Australian soldier has been killed in a rocket attack in Oruzgan Province in Afghanistan. He is the eighth Australian casualty in Afghanistan since 2001.
The announcement was made in Canberra by the Chief of the Defence Foce, Air Chief Marshal Angus Houston.
- Listen to ACM Houston’s press conference (14m)
Text of media release from the Defence Department.
An Australian soldier in Afghanistan has been killed in a rocket attack whilst conducting operations in Oruzgan Province.
Chief of the Defence Force, Air Chief Marshal (ACM) Angus Houston, said the soldier was killed early yesterday evening, Australian time. [Read more…]