Queensland Opposition Leader Annastacia Palaszczuk has announced her Shadow Cabinet following the ALP’s devastating defeat in the recent election.
The ALP was reduced to seven members in the 89-seat Legislative Assembly. This may fall to six if the party loses the South Brisbane by-election caused by the resignation of former premier Anna Bligh.
The six members all have multiple responsibilities.
This is the text of a statement posted on the ALP’s Queensland website:
Leader of the Opposition Annastacia Palaszczuk today announced her Shadow Cabinet.
Ms Palaszczuk said the Opposition team was under no illusions about the tough task ahead of it, given the Government’s unprecedented parliamentary majority.
“We have an enthusiastic team ready to get on with the important job of Opposition,” Ms Palaszczuk said.
“I believe we have a good mix of experience across the portfolio areas and spanning the state of Queensland.
“Our Shadow Cabinet team is raring to go and keen to get on with the job of keeping the Newman Government accountable.
“Premier Campbell Newman made a lot of extravagant promises during the recent election campaign and we will be ensuring he is held to account.
“We know we have a lot of work to do but the people of Queensland can be reassured that we will work as hard as possible to get the job done.”
Shadow Cabinet responsibilities include:
- Annastacia Palaszczuk – Leader of the Opposition; Attorney-General, Justice and Industrial Relations; Education, Training and Employment; Tourism, Small Business, Major Events and Commonwealth Games; the Arts.
- Tim Mulherin – Deputy Opposition Leader; State Development, Infrastructure, Planning and Racing; Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry; Local Government; Science, IT and Innovation.
- Curtis Pitt – Leader of Opposition Business; Treasury and Trade; Energy and Water Supply; Main Roads; Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships, Sport and Recreation.
- Jo-Ann Miller – Opposition Whip; Health; Natural Resources and Mines; Housing.
- Desley Scott – Deputy Opposition Whip; Disability Services; Community Services, Child Safety, Multicultural Affairs and Women; Mental Health; Transport
- Bill Byrne – Police, Corrective Services and Emergency Services; Construction and Public Works; National Parks, Environment and Heritage Protection.
Some positions may be revised depending on the outcome of the South Brisbane by-election.