The triennial Congress of the Australian Council of Trade Unions has paid tribute to the work of its former Secretary, Bill Kelty.
At a dinner in Sydney, former Prime Minister Paul Keating led the tributes.
Kelty was ACTU Secretary from 1983 until 2000. Throughout the Hawke/Keating governments, he was pivotal to the operation of The Accord with the union movement.
Kelty’s work with the government on superannuation reforms, wage fixing, tariff reductions and other issues was vital to the economic reform and social legislation of the 1980s and 1990s.
- Listen to ACTU President Ged Kearney introduce Paul Keating (7m)
- Listen to Paul Keating’s tribute to Kelty (16m)
- Listen to audio of a video tribute to Kelty (5m)
- Listen to outgoing ACTU Secretary Jeff Lawrence on Kelty (14m)
- Listen to Bill Kelty’s speech (49m)
- Listen to incoming ACTU Secretary Dave Oliver introduce Bob Hawke (6m)
- Listen to Bob Hawke sing ‘Solidary Forever’ (3m)