- May 11: Peter Costello’s Budget Speech in the House of Representatives.
- May 13: Kim Beazley’s Budget Reply Speech in the House of Representatives.
- May 14: Senator Brian Harradine tells the Senate he won’t support the Howard government’s GST.
- May 14: Senator Meg Lees, Leader of the Australian Democrats, responds to Harradine’s annnouncement of his opposition to the GST.
- Jun 30: Tim Fischer, Deputy Prime Minister and Leader of the National Party, announces his retirement.
- Jul 01: John Howard Address to the Nation on Taxation Reform (GST)
- Jul 08: Kim Beazley Address to the Nation on Taxation Reform (GST)
- Sep 18: Victorian Opposition Leader Steve Bracks speaks to ALP supporters on election night. The ALP secured an unexpected swing which eventually saw the Kennett government defeated. But that was a month later.
- Oct 03: Former Prime Minister Paul Keating is awarded Life Membership of the ALP at the NSW State Conference.
- Oct 18: Victorian Premier Jeff Kennett’s press conference following the announcement by the three independent members that they would support an ALP Bracks government.
- Nov: Bob Stensholt, ALP candidate for the Burwood by-election, delivered a video to homes in the electorate. The by-election was caused by the resignation of Jeff Kennett, following his defeat in the September election. Stensholt won the seat and held it for the next 11 years.