The High Court of Australia is the most senior court in Australia.
Its role is to adjudicate on constitutional questions and disputes, including conflicts between state and federal governments. It also acts as the final court of appeal from all courts in all states and territories.
Australian Constitution – Section 71 – Judicial power and Courts
The judicial power of the Commonwealth shall be vested in a Federal Supreme Court, to be called the High Court of Australia, and in such other federal courts as the Parliament creates, and in such other courts as it invests with federal jurisdiction. The High Court shall consist of a Chief Justice, and so many other Justices, not less than two, as the Parliament prescribes.
The Court is the final arbiter of interpretation of the Australian Constitution, as well as the final court of appeal from all other Australian State and Federal courts.
The Court currently has 7 judges, headed by the Chief Justice, Robert French.
- Justices of the High Court – full list of all Justices and Chief Justices since 1903.
- The High Court – official web site
- High Court Cases
- High Court Bulletin
- High Court Transcripts
Archived News Items
- Nov 29, 2016: Susan Kiefel Appointed First Woman Chief Justice Of High Court; James Edelman Fills Vacancy
- May 13, 2016: High Court Unanimously Dismisses Challenge To Senate Voting Changes
- Apr 15, 2016: High Court To Hear Challenge To Senate Voting Reforms On May 2
- Apr 15, 2016: Written Submissions Lodged For High Court Challenge To Senate Voting Reforms
- Feb 03, 2016: High Court Rejects Refugee Challenge To Offshore Processing And Resettlement
- Feb 20, 2014: High Court Formally Voids WA Senate Result; No Date Yet On New Poll
- Feb 18, 2014: High Court Voids Western Australian Senate Election; New Poll Looms
- Dec 18, 2013: High Court Throws Out NSW Election Donation Laws; Victory For Unions And Corporations
- Dec 12, 2013: High Court Invalidates ACT Same-Sex Marriage Law; Decision Unanimous
- Nov 20, 2012: Patrick Keane Appointed To The High Court
- Aug 21, 2012: Stephen Gageler Appointed Justice Of The High Court
- May 28, 2012: A High Court Challenge To The Murray-Darling Water Plan?
- Oct 27, 2004: McHugh Calls For More Women Justices On The High Court
- Feb 07, 2003: Dyson Heydon’s Farewell Speech To The NSW Supreme Court
- Apr 27, 2002: Media And Courts: The Dilemma – Speech by Justice Michael Kirby
- Apr 18, 2002: High Court Rules In Favour Of In-Vitro Fertilisation For Single Women
- Apr 11, 2002: Justice Michael Kirby Jokes About Recent Events
- Mar 11, 2002: Bill Heffernan’s Disgraceful Speech Under Parliamentary Privilege
- Feb 13, 2002: Origins Of The High Court Of Australia: Chief Justice Murray Gleeson
- Apr 07, 2001: Murray Gleeson: A Changing Judiciary
- Jun 16, 2000: High Court Upholds Industrial Relations Legislation
- Mar 21, 1998: Howard Appoints Murray Gleeson As New High Court Chief Justice
- Oct 21, 1986: Lionel Murphy, High Court Justice, Whitlam’s Attorney-General, Dies, 64
- Sep 03, 1985: Peacock Moves Against Howard; Murphy Sentenced
- Mar 09, 1951: High Court Strikes Down Communist Party Dissolution Bill