The death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush. It will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference, and undernourishment. – Robert Maynard Hutchins, educator (1899-1977)
What Is Politics and Why Does It Matter?
- The Five Questions to Ask Those in Power
- What Is Politics?
- Why Study Politics? (Monash University)
- Feb 04, 2002: Why Politics Matters: A Case Study – Public Liability Insurance
- Nov 28, 1948: Robert Menzies: Politics As An Art – decades after its publication, Menzies’ words ring true in this age of spin and professional politics.
Australia’s liberal democracy is built around a constitutional monarchy and the British Westminster system, but with the American federal structure grafted onto it.
- Definitions of Key Political Terms.
- Democratic Audit of Australia – an outstanding site from the Australian National University, devoted to auditing the strengths and weaknesses of Australian democracy.
- Advance Australia Fair – the words of the Australian National Anthem
- Australian Citizenship – Immigration Department leaflet on citizenship (2004)
- An Australian Compact – booklet by the late Donald Horne on Australian values (2002)
Australia’s Federation came into being on January 1, 1901. The nation celebrated the Centenary of Federation in 2001. CLICK HERE for items relating to the 2001 Centenary of Federation celebrations.
Related items on Democracy and Power
- Jan 02, 2014: GreenPeace Activist Colin Russell Arrives Home After Russian Detention
- Dec 10, 2013: Eulogy For The Ages: Obama’s Soaring Rhetoric At Mandela’s Memorial Service
- Nov 29, 2013: Education Ministers Speak Out On Pyne’s School Funding Announcement
- Nov 04, 2013: Car Industry Report Predicts Economic Devastation If Government Assistance Ends
- Oct 26, 2013: The State Of The Federation: Ted Mack
- Aug 06, 2012: Tony Abbott Speech On Free Speech
- Dec 17, 2011: Getup! Reviews Its Year
- Apr 04, 2011: So Much For Parliament In Queensland
- Feb 03, 2011: Social Media As A Tool For Protest
- Nov 04, 2010: Giving Substance To The Words
- Apr 19, 2008: Kevin Rudd’s Opening Address to the 2020 Summit
- Jan 29, 2008: Terrorism, Policing & The Media: Controversial Keelty Speech
- Nov 12, 2007: Whitlam-Fraser Call For Strengthening Of Ministerial Accountability
- Jun 13, 2007: Tony Blair: “The Media Is A Feral Beast, Tearing People To Pieces”
- Oct 28, 2006: Business Council Calls For New Commonwealth-States Contract
- Oct 28, 2006: BCA Booklet: Reshaping Australia’s Federation
- Dec 22, 2005: Victorian Local Government Association State Budget Submission
- Oct 22, 2005: Apathy And Anger: John Faulkner On Our Modern Democracy
- Oct 06, 2005: American Democracy Is In Grave Danger: Al Gore
- Sep 28, 2005: Brendan Nelson Speaks To John Laws
- Mar 28, 2005: Business Council Lobbies On Infrastructure
- Sep 28, 2004: Anglican And Catholic Archbishops Attack ALP’s Schools Policy
- Feb 05, 2004: Australian Citizenship – Immigration Department Leaflet
- Sep 02, 2003: Simon Crean: Address To National Congress Of The RSL
- Jan 22, 2003: Australia “A Bit Lost” – Rick Farley
- Jul 10, 2002: Democracy And The Law Threatened By Howard Government: Burnside
- Jul 01, 2002: Donald Horne: An Australian Compact?
- Apr 24, 2002: Harry Evans: Time For Reformation Of The Australian Parliament
- Feb 04, 2002: Public Liability Insurance: Why Politics Matters
- Apr 21, 2001: A.M.A. At War With Wooldridge
- Mar 19, 2001: About The Women’s Electoral Lobby
- Feb 19, 2001: About The Australian Medical Association
- Nov 15, 2000: Beating Up: Barrett Report On Police, Media & WEF Protests
- Aug 26, 2000: Pressure In Brighton
- Nov 26, 1999: Murdoch Group To Lobby Backbench MPs Over Digital TV
- Nov 01, 1999: Intense Lobbying of MPs Over Digital TV
- Feb 20, 1998: Gareth Evans: Politics And The Media Circus
- Feb 05, 1998: Humour: Organisation Chart For Heaven
- Feb 05, 1998: Humour: International Organisational Charts
- May 23, 1987: In Defence Of Protests
- Nov 28, 1948: Robert Menzies: Politics As An Art