The death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush. It will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference, and undernourishment. – Robert Maynard Hutchins, educator (1899-1977)
What Is Politics and Why Does It Matter?
- The Five Questions to Ask Those in Power
- What Is Politics?
- Why Study Politics? (Monash University)
- Feb 04, 2002: Why Politics Matters: A Case Study – Public Liability Insurance
- Nov 28, 1948: Robert Menzies: Politics As An Art – decades after its publication, Menzies’ words ring true in this age of spin and professional politics.
Australia’s liberal democracy is built around a constitutional monarchy and the British Westminster system, but with the American federal structure grafted onto it.
- CLICK HERE for a list of key political terms with definitions.
- Democratic Audit of Australia – an outstanding site from the Australian National University, devoted to auditing the strengths and weaknesses of Australian democracy.
- Advance Australia Fair – the words of the Australian National Anthem
- Who’ll Come A Waltzing Matilda With Me? – from the National Library of Australia
- Australian Citizenship – Immigration Department leaflet on citizenship
- An Australian Compact – 2002 booklet by the late Donald Horne on Australian values
Australia’s Federation came into being on January 1, 1901. The nation celebrated the Centenary of Federation in 2001. CLICK HERE for items relating to the 2001 Centenary of Federation celebrations.