There are many hundreds of pressure groups in Australia, some economic, some social, some with broad aims, some devoted to single issues.
An eloquent defence of protest and dissidence from The Age in 1987.
There is much debate about whether pressure groups enhance or detract from democratic values.
A discussion of the influence of radio talkback on the Federal government’s decision on petrol excise in March 2001.
Demonstrations against the World Economic Forum were held in Melbourne during September 2000. The protests were loosely organised by a group known as S11. This article is a report on the media coverage of the protests by the historian, Dr. Bernard Barrett.
A history of the activities of this Australian group devoted to women’s rights.
Information about this important peak lobby group. In 2001, the AMA president, Dr. Kerryn Phelps, was involved in a bitter conflict with the then Health Minister, Dr. Wooldridge.
- Nov 29, 2013: Education Ministers Speak Out On Pyne’s School Funding Announcement
- Nov 04, 2013: Car Industry Report Predicts Economic Devastation If Government Assistance Ends
- Dec 17, 2011: Getup! Reviews Its Year
- Feb 03, 2011: Social Media As A Tool For Protest
- Apr 19, 2008: Kevin Rudd’s Opening Address to the 2020 Summit
- Oct 28, 2006: Business Council Calls For New Commonwealth-States Contract
- Oct 28, 2006: BCA Booklet: Reshaping Australia’s Federation
- Dec 22, 2005: Victorian Local Government Association State Budget Submission
- Sep 28, 2005: Brendan Nelson Speaks To John Laws
- Mar 28, 2005: Business Council Lobbies On Infrastructure
- Sep 28, 2004: Anglican And Catholic Archbishops Attack ALP’s Schools Policy
- Sep 02, 2003: Simon Crean: Address To National Congress Of The RSL
- Jan 22, 2003: Australia “A Bit Lost” – Rick Farley
- Apr 21, 2001: A.M.A. At War With Wooldridge
- Mar 19, 2001: About The Women’s Electoral Lobby
- Feb 19, 2001: About The Australian Medical Association
- Nov 15, 2000: Beating Up: Barrett Report On Police, Media & WEF Protests
- Nov 26, 1999: Murdoch Group To Lobby Backbench MPs Over Digital TV
- Nov 01, 1999: Intense Lobbying of MPs Over Digital TV
- May 23, 1987: In Defence Of Protests