The alliance with the United States and New Zealand is the cornerstone of Australia’s defence and foreign policies.
Whilst New Zealand no longer participates to any significant extent in ANZUS, the 50-year-old agreement was invoked by the Australian Government in 2001 in response to the terrorist attacks on the US.
ANZUS Treaty – The full text of the treaty between Australia, New Zealand and the United States, signed on September 1, 1951 in San Francisco.
- Jan 07, 2003: Don’t Let Iraq Become Australia’s New Vietnam – extracts from a speech by Laurie Brereton, the former ALP Shadow Minister for Foreign Affairs, calling on the ALP to reject involvement in a possible war with Iraq.
- Sep 04, 2002: American Military Bases In Australia – an article by the Communist Party of Australia about the possible use of American bases in an attack on Iraq
- Jul 08, 2002: A Loyal Ally, But Not Unquestioning – An article by Simon Crean on the American alliance. Crean says: “Contrary to recent assertions … there is no reflex anti-American position in Labor ranks – just a clear-headed sense of our national interests. No one on the Labor side is arguing for a diminution of our alliance relationship with the US.”
- Jul 05, 2002: ‘John Curtin’s World And Ours’: Speech by Paul Keating – A critique of Australian foreign policy by the former Labor Prime Minister, Paul Keating, delivered on the 57th anniversary of Curtin’s death. Keating says: “Even if we are able to interrogate the people involved, even if we take part ourselves in the events we describe, the causes and consequences of human actions will always be wrapped in doubt and seen quite differently by different observers. Perhaps this is especially true of political actions, which play across so much broader an arena of human activity than most.”
- Mar 08, 2002: Australia And The US: Shared Interests – Speech by Alexander Downer, Minister for Foreign Affairs
- Sep 14, 2001: Howard Government Invokes ANZUS
- Sep 14, 2001: ANZUS Invoked: PM John Howard’s Press Conference
- Aug 29, 2001: Howard Speech at DFAT Launch of Book of Documents on Foreign Policy
- Jun 30, 2001: The U.S.-Australian Alliance in an East Asian Context – speeches delivered at a conference at the University of Sydney:
- Apr 11, 2001: Farewell Great & Powerful Friends – ABC Television’s final episode of “100 Years – The Australian Story” screened on April 11, 2001. Essential viewing. Read the transcript.
- May 30, 2001: 50 Years of ANZUS – Speech by John Howard
- Nov 30, 2000: Factsheet on USA – PDF document from DFAT
- May 29, 1996: Australia and the United States – A Vital Friendship – speech by Alexander Downer, Minister for Foreign Affairs
Archived News Items