This is the proposed wording for the Preamble to the Constitution that will be voted on in a referendum later this year.
Proposed wording of Constitutional Preamble.
With hope in God, the Commonwealth of Australia is constituted as a democracy with a federal system of Government to serve the common good.
We the Australian people commit ourselves to this Constitution
– proud that our national unity has been forged by Australians from many ancestries;
– never forgetting the sacrifices of all who defended our country and our liberty in time of war;
– upholding freedom, tolerance, individual dignity and the rule of law;
– honouring Aborigines and Torres Strait Islanders, the nation’s first people, for their deep kinship with their lands and for their ancient and continuing cultures which enrich the life of our country;
– recognising the nation-building contribution of generations of immigrants;
– mindful of our responsibility to protect our unique natural environment;
– supportive of achievement as well as equality of opportunity for all;
– and valuing independence as dearly as the national spirit which binds us together in both adversity and success.