1. CONSTITUTIONAL OVERVIEW
What is the purpose of a Constitution? What are the main features of the Australian Constitution? What are the Conventions that underpin its operation?
2. TEXT OF THE CONSTITUTION
The full text of all 128 Sections of the Australian Constitution. Available as single sections, chapters, or all on one page.
The Queen’s representative; literal powers; powers through conventions; reserve powers.
4. THE HIGH COURT
Interpreting the Constitution; final court of appeal.
Division of power between federal government and States; financial relationship.
6. CONSTITUTIONAL REFORM
Only 8 out of 46 attempts to change the Constitution by referendum have been successful since 1901. Many argue that real constitutional reform has been performed by the High Court in its various judgements.
7. WHITLAM DISMISSAL – NOVEMBER 11, 1975
Link to companion site on the Dismissal.
8. REPUBLIC VS MONARCHY
The question of whether Australia should become a constitutional republic has been an ongoing issue in recent years.
- Feb 03, 2017: Culleton Ineligible To Nominate For Senate, High Court Rules; Recount Likely To Elect Peter Georgiou
- Jan 30, 2017: Susan Kiefel Sworn In As 13th Chief Justice Of The High Court Of Australia
- Nov 29, 2016: Susan Kiefel Appointed First Woman Chief Justice Of High Court; James Edelman Fills Vacancy
- Aug 30, 2016: Governor-General Sir Peter Cosgrove’s Speech Opening The 45th Parliament
- Aug 30, 2016: 45th Parliament Opens; Members And Senators Sworn In; House Speaker And Senate President Re-Elected Unopposed
- Aug 18, 2016: Long Tan Commemoration: Cosgrove And Turnbull Pay Tribute On 50th Anniversary Of Vietnam Battle
- Aug 12, 2016: Tony Abbott Regrets Hyper-Partisanship In Speech To Samuel Griffith Society