Constitutional change has been relatively rare in the history of the Australia federation since 1901.
Of 44 referendums held to change the Constitution, only 8 have been supported by the electorate. The last was in 1977.
In many respects, significant constitutional change has taken place as a result of High Court decisions.
- Referendum Process – the constitutional procedures that must be followed in order to conduct a referendum to change the Constitution.
- Republic Vs. Monarchy – details of the debate over Australia becoming a Republic, including material on the Constitutional Convention of 1998 and the referendum of 1999.
- 1999 Referendum – Preamble to the Constitution
- Jan 01, 2014: Prime Minister Tony Abbott’s New Year Message
- Oct 26, 2013: The State Of The Federation: Ted Mack
- Mar 15, 2013: Abbott: Indigenous Issues Will Be At The Heart Of A Coalition Government In Word And Deed
- Feb 26, 2013: Scullion: A Genuine Sense Of Bipartisanship
- Feb 13, 2013: Act Of Recognition Passes In House Of Representatives
- Jan 24, 2013: Parliamentary Committee Recommends Referendum On Local Government
- Jan 16, 2012: Expert Panel Recommends Constitutional Recognition Of Indigenous Australians
- Oct 11, 2007: John Howard’s Speech On Reconciliation
- Jan 30, 2002: Wayne Swan: Connecting With The Missing Middle – Reforming The Parliament And The ALP
- May 10, 2001: Stott Despoja Calls For Constitutional and Political Reforms
- Oct 01, 2000: Bill Of Rights: Australian Democrats Bill
- Aug 17, 2000: Carmen Lawrence: Renewing Democracy – Can Women Make a Difference?
- Nov 06, 1999: The Republican Constitution
- Sep 01, 1999: Proposed Wording For Preamble Referendum
- Apr 14, 1999: Jeff Kennett Proposes New Wording For Preamble Referendum
- Mar 25, 1999: Preamble Referendum: Initial Bill – Explanatory Statement
- Mar 25, 1999: John Howard’s Exposure Draft of Proposed New Preamble
- Mar 12, 1999: A.L.P. Releases A Draft Preamble To The Constitution
- Nov 16, 1997: Vote For A Real Republic!
- Jun 08, 1995: Howard: Response To Keating’s Republic Proposal
- Jun 07, 1995: Keating: An Australian Republic – The Way Forward
- Jun 07, 1995: Gough Whitlam On A Republic And Blocking Supply
- Mar 02, 1986: Queen Elizabeth Signs Australia Act Into Law