The High Court of Australia is the most senior court in Australia.
Its role is to adjudicate on constitutional questions and disputes, including conflicts between state and federal governments. It also acts as the final court of appeal from all courts in all states and territories.
Australian Constitution – Section 71 – Judicial power and Courts
The judicial power of the Commonwealth shall be vested in a Federal Supreme Court, to be called the High Court of Australia, and in such other federal courts as the Parliament creates, and in such other courts as it invests with federal jurisdiction. The High Court shall consist of a Chief Justice, and so many other Justices, not less than two, as the Parliament prescribes.
The Court is the final arbiter of interpretation of the Australian Constitution, as well as the final court of appeal from all other Australian State and Federal courts.
The Court currently has 7 judges, headed by the Chief Justice, Robert French.
- Justices of the High Court – full list of all Justices and Chief Justices since 1903.
- The High Court – official web site
- High Court Cases
- High Court Bulletin
- High Court Transcripts
Archived News Items
- Detainees Decision Released by High Court November 28, 2023
- Senate Refers Nash And Xenophon To High Court; Hinch And Gallagher Safe; Hanson Audit Motion Defeated September 4, 2017
- George Williams On Dual Citizenship And Same Sex Marriage Survey August 30, 2017
- Barnaby Joyce May Have New Zealand Dual Citizenship; Deputy PM Refers Himself To High Court August 14, 2017
- Culleton Ineligible To Nominate For Senate, High Court Rules; Recount Likely To Elect Peter Georgiou February 3, 2017
- Susan Kiefel Sworn In As 13th Chief Justice Of The High Court Of Australia January 30, 2017
- Susan Kiefel Appointed First Woman Chief Justice Of High Court; James Edelman Fills Vacancy November 29, 2016
- High Court Unanimously Dismisses Challenge To Senate Voting Changes May 13, 2016
- High Court To Hear Challenge To Senate Voting Reforms On May 2 April 15, 2016
- Written Submissions Lodged For High Court Challenge To Senate Voting Reforms April 15, 2016
- High Court Rejects Refugee Challenge To Offshore Processing And Resettlement February 3, 2016
- High Court Formally Voids WA Senate Result; No Date Yet On New Poll February 20, 2014
- High Court Voids Western Australian Senate Election; New Poll Looms February 18, 2014
- High Court Throws Out NSW Election Donation Laws; Victory For Unions And Corporations December 18, 2013
- High Court Invalidates ACT Same-Sex Marriage Law; Decision Unanimous December 12, 2013
- Patrick Keane Appointed To The High Court November 20, 2012
- Stephen Gageler Appointed Justice Of The High Court August 21, 2012
- A High Court Challenge To The Murray-Darling Water Plan? May 28, 2012
- McHugh Calls For More Women Justices On The High Court October 27, 2004
- Dyson Heydon’s Farewell Speech To The NSW Supreme Court February 7, 2003
- Media And Courts: The Dilemma – Speech by Justice Michael Kirby April 27, 2002
- High Court Rules In Favour Of In-Vitro Fertilisation For Single Women April 18, 2002
- Justice Michael Kirby Jokes About Recent Events April 11, 2002
- Bill Heffernan’s Disgraceful Speech Under Parliamentary Privilege March 11, 2002
- Origins Of The High Court Of Australia: Chief Justice Murray Gleeson February 13, 2002
- Murray Gleeson: A Changing Judiciary April 7, 2001
- High Court Upholds Industrial Relations Legislation June 16, 2000
- Howard Appoints Murray Gleeson As New High Court Chief Justice March 21, 1998
- Lionel Murphy, High Court Justice, Whitlam’s Attorney-General, Dies, 64 October 21, 1986
- Peacock Moves Against Howard; Murphy Sentenced September 3, 1985
- High Court Strikes Down Communist Party Dissolution Bill March 9, 1951