This is the text of a report by historian Dr. Bernard Barrett on events at the World Economix Forum in Melbourne in September 2000.
It was forwarded to the Office of the Ombudsman, Victoria, on November 15, 2000.
- March 2001: Legal Observer Team Report on the World Economic Forum Protests
- June 2001: Ombudsman’s Report on police action at the World Economic Forum demonstrations
- “Media Beat-ups”, by Bernard Barrett, in Screen Education
A Report on Police Batons and the News Media at the World Economic Forum, Melbourne, September 2000
by Dr. Bernard Barrett, Historian
Forwarded to the Office of the Ombudsman, Victoria, 15 November 2000
Revised 28 November 2000
From 1977 until he retired in 1993, the author was the State Historian for the Government of Victoria, responsible for promoting research and public awareness about Victoria’s cultural heritage.
- Making history
- The World Economic Forum and the media
- Early coverage of the protest plans
- Behind the scenes
- Coverage of the events of Monday 11 September
- Coverage of the events of Tuesday 12 September
- Coverage of the events of Wednesday 13 September
- Later coverage