11.45pm AEDT UPDATE – Anna Bligh and Ian Stewart have given their final media briefing for the night. Briefings will resume in the morning.
Bligh said 89,000 homes are now without power, mainly in Townsville and Ingham. The peak of the storm surge is still 2 hours away and will last 4 hours after that.
Deputy Commissioner Stewart reported on 6 people in their 60s in Hinchinbrook who have been advised to seek safety on the second floor of their building. The first floor is expected to be flooded.
Posts tagged as “Ian Stewart”
Cyclone Yasi is about to hit far north Queensland and Premier Anna Bligh and Prime Minister Julia Gillard have spoken at press conferences to offer advice and support to people in the cyclone’s path.
These are today’s briefings from Queensland Premier Anna Bligh and others on Cyclone Yasi.
These are today’s briefings on the Queensland floods.
- 4.30pm AEDT – Anna Bligh press conference.
- 3.45pm AEDT – Defence Minister Stephen Smith, in Perth, announces details of the ADF commitment to the rescue operation in Queensland.
- 3.00pm AEDT – Tony Abbott press conference in Brisbane.
- 1.30pm AEDT – Tony Abbott, interviewed on ABC News 24, says “I don’t want to get too political at this stage.”
- 12.40pm AEDT – Emergency Services Minister Neil Roberts and Commissioner Ian Stewart briefing.
- 12.30pm AEDT – Julia Gillard speaks at Amberley Air Force Base in Queensland.
- 11.10am AEDT – Queensland Governor Penelope Wensley and Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisale discuss the flood situation.
- 10.35am AEDT – Anna Bligh press conference.