1. CONSTITUTIONAL OVERVIEW
What is the purpose of a Constitution? What are the main features of the Australian Constitution? What are the Conventions that underpin its operation?
2. TEXT OF THE CONSTITUTION
The full text of all 128 Sections of the Australian Constitution. Available as single sections, chapters, or all on one page.
The Queen’s representative; literal powers; powers through conventions; reserve powers.
4. THE HIGH COURT
Interpreting the Constitution; final court of appeal.
Division of power between federal government and States; financial relationship.
6. CONSTITUTIONAL REFORM
Only 8 out of 46 attempts to change the Constitution by referendum have been successful since 1901. Many argue that real constitutional reform has been performed by the High Court in its various judgements.
7. WHITLAM DISMISSAL – NOVEMBER 11, 1975
Link to companion site on the Dismissal.
8. REPUBLIC VS MONARCHY
The question of whether Australia should become a constitutional republic has been an ongoing issue in recent years.
- Jul 11, 2016: Governor-General Acts On Prime Minister Turnbull’s Advice; Caretaker Period Ends
- Jun 13, 2016: Political Figures Feature In Queen’s Birthday Honours
- May 13, 2016: High Court Unanimously Dismisses Challenge To Senate Voting Changes
- May 09, 2016: Australian Parliament Dissolved; Governor-General’s Official Secretary Reads Proclamation
- May 08, 2016: Government House Releases Double Dissolution Documents
- May 08, 2016: Malcolm Turnbull Formally Announces July 2 Double Dissolution Election
- Apr 15, 2016: Parliament Prorogued; New Session Starts On Monday