Rupert Murdoch has eulogised his mother at her memorial service in Melbourne’s St. Paul’s Cathedral.
Dame Elisabeth Murdoch died on December 5, aged 103.
In a service that referred frequently to the actual and metaphorical import of Dame Elisabeth’s love of flowers and gardening, her 81 year old son described his mother as “an exquisite garden that is a life lived always in full bloom”.
Former Victorian Premier Jeff Kennett also spoke at the service.
- Listen to Rupert Murdoch’s eulogy – text below (10m)
- Watch Rupert Murdoch’s eulogy
- Listen to Jeff Kennett’s eulogy (9m)
- Listen to Victorian Governor Alex Chernov (2m)
- Listen to Governor-General Quentin Bryce (2m)
- Listen to the sermon (11m)
- Listen to the singing of ‘All Things Bright And Beautiful’
Eulogy for Dame Elisabeth Murdoch by her son, Rupert.
Slightly more than a century ago, Queen Victoria signed the act that gave birth to the free nation of Australia. Soon after, Elisabeth Joy Greene was born.
In many ways she grew up with this nation: through its youthful beginnings, the hardship of war, all the way to the vibrant society we behold today. In her spirit and her energy, she embodied the finest qualities of this nation.
Today I wish to speak to the extraordinary accomplishments of this exceptional woman. On its own, that would be a formidable task. It is made even more daunting by the obligation of a grateful son: to do justice to a mother whose love gave me more than I could ever hope to repay. [Read more...]